Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE AND SYSTEM PROBLEMS -ANTIVIRUS XP GONE?

• Please log in to reply

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
How is the system recovery console (name?) that I downloaded from Windows (after running all the logs over the 7/4 weekend)used?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Recovery Console is a DOS-like interface that allows one to diagnose and repair problems with the file system, but will not let one do much with system files other than to delete them, extract them from the cd, and move them from place to place...one file at a time.

A non-destructive recovery (repair installation), on the other hand, will remove all the core system files and reinstall them again with known good files. If you can do this with your cd, it's the route I'd recommend at this point.

If your disk will allow a repair installation, there is a good guide HERE. See if you can use your disk to perform the steps shown in the guide...some OEM disks will allow this, some will not. Dells do, HP, Compaq, and eMachines do not. I'm not sure about Toshiba as I've never tried this with one of their disks.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
What an amazing resource. It referenced the system changes as result of motherboard replacement inc IE and wireless. You are exceptional. I will have to spend some time digesting all this new information.