Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem and second router share the same IP

• Please log in to reply

elpadre

elpadre

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Since a few days ago my modem and second router have the same IP adress (192.168.1.1) so I cant get in my second router configuration menu.
If I go to 192.168.1.1 they direct me to my modems menu and Ive verified there, that there is indeed an unknown device with the Ip 192.168.1.1

My network looks like this:

Modem => First router(192.168.123.254) => Second router who functions only as a hub (192.168.1.1 same as modem)
.........................!...........................................................!..............................!
......................first PC...............................................2th PC.......................3th PC

If I do a ip config /all on my second PC i get this:

Ip adress 192.168.123.101
Subnetmaster 255.255.255.0
defaultgateway 192.168.123.254
DHCP server 192.168.123.254
DNS servers 192.168.123.254

My first router is from USrobotics and my second one from linksys, both PCs run windows XP

My question: Does anyone know HOW(step by step please, im new with this kind of stuff :)) to change my second router to 192.168.1.2 (example) so i can type it into my browser and change the configuration?

Thanks in advance!

ps: sorry for my horrible English

Edited by elpadre, 09 July 2008 - 02:07 PM.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
You should be able to log in to your router and change the settings. If you aren't able to log in because of the conflict, you could always unplug one of them while you log in and fix the problem. Many routers will let you change the base address for the router.

elpadre

elpadre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already tried to unplug everything except my second router but even then I cant log into the routers "homepage"

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
try taking the router out of the network and just connect only your pc to it. Then do ipconfig and look at the default gateway. That's the ip for your router. use that to enter.

hope that helps. :)