Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connected but no internet access

• Please log in to reply

Shoota

Shoota

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi, I can't seem to browse the internet in either IE or firefox. Im using a wireless connection (Linksys wireless-G). Windows tells me that Im connected but everytime I type in any url in the browser I always get a "connection timed out" error. I disconnected the power to my modem and router and plugged them back in but it still didn't help. I can ping google.com and my router IP in the cmd prompt and its fine but when I tried to ping ftp.compaq.com the request timed out. This is on my other computer. It has XP. If someone can please help I would appreciate it.

Advertisements

Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc

then do a defrag again after the reboot.

This advice was given to me and it helped in a similar situation. Hope it helps you.

Edited by Deejay100six, 09 July 2008 - 05:42 PM.

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Wow thats a lot to do. I will definitely give that a try and report back. Thanks man!

Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Its not nearly as complicated as it looks. Just take your time. :)

Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I see you have a thread running in hijack this. I don't think it is prudent to be asking for advice about other problems until you have been given the all clear by the malware techs. Please post back here when the hijack this analysis has been resolved.

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No, this problem and my malware problem are on two different computers. Their not even mine they are my family members. They're terrible at computer maintenance. :) Leaving me to do all the work (with the help of you guys) when something breaks.

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Edit: I found the culprit: Zone Alarm. Actually both ZA and the windows firewall were enabled at the same time, which likely caused the problem. Thanks for the help anyway Deejay. The computer needed a good cleanup and defrag anyhow.

Edited by Shoota, 11 July 2008 - 07:08 PM.

ThunderBird89

ThunderBird89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a similar problem too, but I only have ZA enabled (windows bundled firewall s.cks, IMHO), and the problem started after I used a Vodafone branded HUAWEI USB modem for a few days. Now I can ping, get an IP, etc, but no TCP traffic flowing in any direction.