Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! should i change my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

London Beat

London Beat

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

here is the problem:

1- Sometimes I change my memory modules and the the comp wont boot, then I trial and error one module at the time and the PC boots (solution that works most)

2- Sometimes when won´t boot I do an trial and error by unplugging components one by one and see if the PC boots, in this atempts 2 times I unplugged the diskette drive and the PC booted. Note: the first time I thought that i had an bad diskette drive and I replaced with a new one.

3- Sometimes when the PC wont boot i take the graphic card out and when i put it again the PC boots

4- Sometimes nothing of these works and i.e. I go to eat or to sleep and the next time, voilà, PC boots!

Help! should I change my motherboard? It´s an old Asus P4C800 with Intel 875P chipset, at the time in 2004 it was top of the line :) (it should be it cost me about 270 dollars).

Although the above is boring to me, it only happens sometimes (not always) when I have to open the PC and change some component and even when happens once I do one of the above solutions and it works i never have to worry anymore for 1, 2 or 3 years or more unless I have to change some component again.

Edited by London Beat, 09 July 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

Captain Zero

Captain Zero

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I use the same board, P4C800-E Deluxe. It's been a very solid workhorse for me, haven't found a reason to replace it. Runs my [email protected] without any problems. In '04, I built this system to last, I'm glad it has.

I am looking at a new build, I'll go with ASUS again for my main board, likely a Quad Core, QX9650 Extreme or something like that. If you run RAID on that board, 2 tips for what it's worth; use the onboad Intel controller, not the Promise/FastTrak one (Intel's is much faster) and do *NOT* use RAID-0. Go RAID-5 with minimum of 3 drives. :)

These boards have been excellent performers but are getting old. I was having 'odd' problems like the ones you describe and I replaced the battery on the mobo. A $2 part saved me a *LOT* of grief. Board runs like new now.

Edited by Captain Zero, 09 July 2008 - 11:05 PM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
check your motherboard and cards for leaking capacitors

see pictures at bottom of this link

http://home.earthlin...eli/index27.htm

London Beat

London Beat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, thanks for the answears.

Peter99 i checked for leaking capacitors and i have found none.

Captain Zero as you said when i build this system with this mobo it was also for last a long time, witch aside from the problems described, this mobo as been very satisfaing and i think it will last for a good more years.