Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windowa xp restarting

• Please log in to reply

jkoch

jkoch

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:) my computer wont start up it just keeps restarting over and over again please HELP

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
What do you mean that it 'won't start up, it just keeps restarting again'?? Where does it boot to? Does it get past the BIOS screen and then reboot? Does it make it to the Windows screen and then reboot? A little more detail about your problem would be helpful.

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It goes to the part where all the icons are then restarts

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Try starting your computer in Safe Mode. To do that, tap the F8 key when your computer is booting. Have you recently installed any new software?? If so, that could be your problem & you could try uninstalling it while in safe mode.

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did try the f8 key it did nothing I dont think anything new has been installed there was a message from microsoft that they upgraded something

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Okay. Restart your computer. When you see the BIOS saying the version etc, tap the F8 key. ( you can't wait until it's past that point, or it won't work) You should then see the Windows boot menu. If you are running Windows XP, the boot menu has to be there, and if it's not..... NOT a good thing! :)

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
what one do i start it in safe mode,safe mode with networking or safe with command prompt? THANKS

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
For now, just start it in Safe Mode and see if it will boot all the way into Windows without constantly rebooting.

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That worked I did system restore Its just running so slooooooooooooooow!

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I need to make more room on my drive it is 76% full

jkoch

jkoch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it just booted me off again is it cuz there isnt enough memory

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok.. Are you talking about 'memory' in terms of RAM or disk space? You can do several things to help free up disk space. You can clean out your internet cache. You can uninstall programs that you don't use. You can defragment your hard drive. As far as memory (RAM), you can download a program such as Startup Guru, that will show you everything that's loading when you boot your machine. That way, you could stop some things that you don't need/want from loading, therefore saving memory.