Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dmload.sys (faulty system file)

• Please log in to reply

astrosoup

astrosoup

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I am sitting in front of a computer with Windows XP Media Center version 2002 installed on it. The system is restarting itself at random, and according to the minidumps, the problem is "probably caused by" the "dmload.sys" file. Is there a way I can restore this one system file without reformatting and reinstalling windows? I don't have a Windows XP MCE CD, but I do have a an XP Pro CD with the same file on it (located in the i386/drivers directory- its about half the size of the same file on the machine in question).

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hey astrosoup,

You can open a command line and type "sfc /scannow" with the XP Pro CD in.
If that doesn't restore the file then you can do a windows repair.
HERE: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Those 2 things should be able to fix it.
Regards,
Olrik

astrosoup

astrosoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay I will try that. I did run sfc /scannow without any CD in. It eventually asked me to insert XP Professional CD 2. I tried inserting my XP disk but it didn't take. My research suggests that this is a common problem with the system file checker in Windows Media Center Edition. I'll try it again with the CD in the entire time.

I was afraid of using an XP Pro CD to do a repair install of XP MCE. I know they are very similar, but I wasn't sure if I would run into issues with the CD Key, etc. Also, would they lose any of the functionality of XP Media Center Edition if I run a repair install with an XP Pro disk?

**EDIT** by the way, I have already tried system restore... It reboots and tells me the system could not be restored to the selected point, no matter which restore point I select. The computer did not come with any disks in lieu of a "recovery partition". I really don't want to reformat this machine and reinstall everything, especially over one corrupted system file. But I don't want to plunk down $130 for a new copy of Windows MCE just so I can repair the current installation either.

Edited by astrosoup, 09 July 2008 - 10:11 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello Pandora,

Sorry about the delay, I asked someone else for some advice.
Here goes.

• Browse to the following file path:
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
  • Search for the file "dmload.sys"
  • Right click the file and hit Copy.
  • Go to the following file path:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers
  • Right click in the folder and select Paste.
  • Please confirm the overwrite.
  • Now please reboot your system.

Let me know how that went.

Regards,
Olrik

astrosoup

astrosoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hey there. That did the trick, thanks!

Edited by astrosoup, 15 July 2008 - 02:33 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
You're welcome! :)
Kudos to wannabe1 for pointing me to this.

Regards,
Olrik