Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Issue

• Please log in to reply

PinCushion

PinCushion

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, I recently hooked up and older computer of mine to the internet. Seemed to work fine, but I quickly found that for some reason I was not able to access hotmail through the internet after signing in (the inbox page), as well as logging on to messenger it said that there was a problem with the network. This also happened on trying to log into facebook. Other than that it seems all other applications and websites are working. Upon doing the troubleshoot on msn messenger it said that there was a problem with the proxy setting or firewall. But as I have no firewall I am assuming it is the proxy setting.

I'm also not sure if this makes a difference but this computer is running on windows xp service pack 1 and does not have java. I tried to install java but said it was not able with the current internet settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am confused as to why most things would be working and a few are not. Thanks.

Advertisements

Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Before we go any further, you need to get sp2, at least. Sp3 would be even better. If you can't do this, there is a validation issue, which means maybe you are running pirated software.

Btw, i see from previous posts that you have had norton in your machine. Get rid!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Deejay100six, 09 July 2008 - 05:06 PM.