Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggestions for partitioning HD for XP

• Please log in to reply

jdtice

jdtice

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have searched, and I'm sure the answer is simple but I will ask anyways.

I just bought a Dell 600m laptop with a 40 gb drive and could not opt out of an OS. Well, I own XP so I was planning to install my own OS anyways. I noticed in the windows setup that they had 3 partitions. The first and third did not do anything, and were very small. The OS was installed on the second partition with the drive letter C.

My question is, should I partition my HD in a fashion similar to this, or should I just make one large partition? Are there any sites or threads on this forum that suggest ways to setup the partitions for a Windows XP install?

TIA

Advertisements

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
It all depends, some people swear by having a dedicated partition for windows, about 3 gig should be fine. This allows you to save any important work or settings for programs to another partition of the HD in case you have to reinstall windows, but you're going to have to reinstall the apps anyway in that case and you may notice a hit in access speeds. It's up to you and what you're used to working with. You'll also need to change the installation path for everything you install to the other partitions. If you backup regularly anyway then there's no problem with having one partition for everything.

Edited by AlexR, 29 April 2005 - 02:31 AM.

jdtice

jdtice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea I plan to keep my apps on one partition. But is there a benefit to leaving say 40 mb in the beginning of the drive, before the primary partition which windows gets installed to?

Also, is it pointless to have a separate partition for your pagefile?

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Not, that'll only slow Windows down. Keep the pagefile on the same drive or partition as windows, then it doesn't have to look at any tables to find cached data.