Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}

• Please log in to reply

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Got a friend of mine that gave me her laptop to look at. When I booted up, I got this message:

Stop c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image Kernel32.dll is possibly corrupt
The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I first tried to boot into safe mode with no success. The computer just rebooted and tried to boot in normal mode.
Next I tried to use a Windows XP disc to use a recovery console, but Windows could not detect a hard drive.
Next I tried a BARTPE disc and use the file management tool to run a diskcheck on the hard drive. Same thing. It didn't detect a hard drive either.
I'm now running a Windows Memory Diagnostic test and in the standard mode, all 6 tests check out ok. I'm running the extended tests now and 7 of the 11 tests check out ok.
I sure could use some help on this one..... :)

Advertisements

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ERAND test on the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool failed. I'm assuming the there is some bad ram to blame.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello Beanbandit27,

This is worth a look: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326687

mirjel

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the advice! I got some new ram for the computer and installed it. Still got the same error message. I tried to do a disk check with my windows xp disk, but the disk didn't detect a hard drive. I put in my BARTpe disk and ran the file management tool, and it didn't detect a hard drive either. I then, of course, ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and that check detected no errors in the new ram. SO, back to square 1. Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed now? I definitely need your help on this one.... :) :) :)