Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoyed

• Please log in to reply

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am trying to connect a network and share files (not something i thought was too difficult) yet i am running into a strange problem. Here is the setup:

wireless router (zonet) connected to a wired router (dlink) also connected to the wired router is a switch (also dlink) the wired router is then connected to a cable modem and thus the internet.

All of the computers connect flawlessly to the net the true issue is with filesharing

All of the computers connected via cat5 can see and share files. all the computers connected wirelessly can see and share files. It is when the computers which are wireless attempt to see a wired one or visa versa.
I checked and they are all on the same workgroup. all of them are running xp. What do i need to do in order to make the wired and wireless networks see eachother? again they are ALL able to connect to the internet yet the file sharing isn't working between wired and wireless.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey mikhael,

I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.
Please do this with 1 PC from a wired network and 1 from the wireless network.

Regards,
Olrik

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Fixed it.

Fixed as follows:

1. Using a PC wired into the current router, unplug it from the wired connection and plug into a LAN port on the secondary router. Access the secondary router using your browser via its default LAN IP address and default password. Since the PC was attached to the previous router you will have tell the PC to obtain a LAN IP from the new device. Use 'winipcfg' in win9x or 'ipconfig release/renew' with W2K/XP on the PC.

2. On the secondary router (hereafter called the AP)

a. change the default password to a minimum combination of 8 letters/numbers/symbols.

b. Change the ESSID to a unique name and make all the necessary wireless configurations.

3. Then, in the AP, go to the LAN setup page:

a. Turn DHCP serving OFF.

b. Change the LAN IP of the AP from its default so that it lies within the subnet of the primary router but preferably outside the dynamic LAN IP range of the primary router. (examples below)

c. Disable or turn RIP off, if there is that option.

d. Disable or turn off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support (if any).

4. Plug the PC back into the wired connection and repeat the process of getting new LAN IP. A reboot of the PC may be needed.

5. Plug the AP into the router, LAN port TO LAN port directly or via switch/patch panel etc.

6. It may be necessary to reboot one or both routers but one should be able to assign LANIPs wirelessly and connect at this point, ensuring wifi card setup properly.

Example:

Primary Router
LAN IP 192.168.1.1
old Dynamic DHCP Pool 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.xx
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Will need to change Dynamic DHCP pool
new DCHP Pool 192.168.1.33 - 192.168.1.xx (for example)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Secondary Router (our Access Point)
old LAN IP 192.168.0.1 -or any other default

Will need to change LAN IP to be within subnet of primary.
new LAN IP 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks for posting back with the result :)
Glad to see you got it fixed.

Regards,
Olrik