Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Detected but not connected

• Please log in to reply

okieedokie

okieedokie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

so I brought my laptop over to my dad's house, who recently got comcast high-speed, and we install the CD on it, plug in the cable, and there's no internet. We know its not the cord becuase it works on his laptop. We also know my laptop is fine becuase it has been plugged into the DSL at my mom's, it also was connected wirelessly there too. I've tried going through everything and nothing seems to work. The computer detects that there is a connection, but the internet will not work. Is there something I can do or do I just have to wait until my dad gets a wireless router? Also my laptop runs on Windows 2000 but my dad's has Vista, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Does he have a router that your plugging into? or are you plugging directly into his modem? (also you shouldn't need to use the comcast cd)

Either way it is most likely a dhcp problem which is easily solved.
Solution:
Unplug the modem, then unplug the router(if there is one) (by unplug i mean from power) then shut down his computer and yours
wait about 30 seconds for good measure then plug the modem back in.
wait till all the lights come back on then plug the router back in.
now turn the computers back on and the internet should work

okieedokie

okieedokie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot :) I can't believe I didn't think of that before -_- All good now.