Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble reading contents of data DVDs

• Please log in to reply

NextStopAnywhere

NextStopAnywhere

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I had backed-up a ton of files to DVD+RW's. Basically, I grouped the files together in RAR's, i.e. "photos2006.rar", "photos2007.rar", etc, then grouped all those archives into one big archive and broke the RAR up into 4.3gb pieces, then copied each piece to a DVD. I had trouble burning some of them, some I had to reformat (I think I used Nero) and recopy multiple times before they would burn completely. I burned the disks last year on a different computer that I no longer have (running WinXP). In my spare time I have been trying to copy them to my new pc (running Win XP) and extract the archived files. About half of them copy easily or with little errors, but several of them are problematic. First I try to use Windows explorer to copy the file. If that fails, I use ISO Buster, which usually does the trick. One DVD is so bad that half the data will not copy, and it took several days just to do that.

The disks do not appear to have deep scratches. I had all the disks polished at a GameStop, but there are still light scratches on some disks. I also tried some tips from the internet, such as furniture wax, slightly heating, freezing, and using toothpaste. I think this only made the disks worse!

I don't have hope that I will retrieve 100% of the data (right now I'd say I have about 65%) but there are some pictures I'd really like to have back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Right now I have Nero 8, ISO Buster Pro 2.4, and WinXP (all updates & SP's). Thanks for any help!

Advertisements