Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Either dumb me or dumb network adapter

• Please log in to reply

w8n4daGreatDay

w8n4daGreatDay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have had this same problem before. I resolved it last time by going out and buying a new network adapter but this time it failed in less than 90 days. It's the Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster model no. WUSB54GSC. Before the last one finally quit working altogether I would just uninstall it and reinstall it and that would seem to fix it for a little while until I had to repeat the process again. Well the new one did it the first time almost two months ago. I'm sick of looking at this frigging computer that I can't do anything with because I can't get online with it. I either fix this or I drill a hole through it put a bar in it and make it into a door stop. I'm on another computer right now as I type this. When I tried to uninstall it I got an error message that said something in line with "setup.exe" having problems and needing to shut down. I went into control panel and tried to uninstall it there and got the same message. I put the cd in and still nothing. I got fed up with wasting 5 hours on it one day that I just clicked the windows start button, went to search, and typed in both Linksys then Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter and deleted all the files that came up. Now I don't even get an error message and it still doesn't uninstall. When I put the cd back in and try to install it it says that the program has already been installed. I tried to restore the system back to before the deletion of the files and Windows says it has failed to restore the system. I can't get online at all with it so I can't get Hijackthis or anything else for that matter to run something for the techs on here to look into it for me. I know I haven't been much help here and I apologize for the stupidity but I'm looking for another avenue if anyone knows one other than destroying this stress box my ears are open. Thank you for even reading this rambling mess and for any suggestions that you may be able to provice me with.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try the revo uninstaller.

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

SRX660

w8n4daGreatDay

w8n4daGreatDay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your reply and help in this matter SRX660 but as I stated in my OP I cannot get online with that computer so the download is out of my reach. I guess what I could do is ask the owner of the one I am currently using if it would be okay to download it and then burn it to a disc and then install the program onto my computer. It's probably a long shot even asking for the permission to do this as the owner of this pc that I am on right now does not like anyone downloading anything on his pc but I will ask nonetheless and hope I don't get the 3rd degree for just asking...lol. I suppose you think that I'm kidding and I wish that I were. Anyway, thanks again I will hope that he will allow me and that it works out.

w8n4daGreatDay

w8n4daGreatDay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SRX660,

I would like to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was given the go ahead to download the program and I burned it. I then took it to my computer and installed it and it work great. Thanks. However, I tried to reinstall the network adapter and it didn't work. I'll seek the fix, if it's possible to still fix it, in the appropiate thread. I'm still happy with the results because at least now I know that if need be I can at least install another adapter and finally use the computer as a computer instead of using it as a door stop. Again, thank you.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can try going to the Linksys forums to see if you can find a answer to your question.

http://forums.linksy...essage_id=10179

I would download the users guide to walk you thru setting up the router.

http://www.linksys.c...d#versiondetail

SRX660