Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connections Greyed Out Except Cancel

• Please log in to reply

woozygrrl

woozygrrl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this issue before and it seemed to resolve once I downgraded to an older driver v. for the card (Lan Express IEEE 8.012) but so far no luck.

Here is the deal: I am setting up a home network and all went well with the 'wizard' approach, except the CLIENT (laptop) has both the local and wireless network connection X'd in the Network connections dialogue box, AND Available Networks dialogue box is completely greyed out with the exception of the Cancel button.

I have attempted to /renew / reset / rereree .. and no luck.

Wireless Zero Configuration is started.

The host and client are running winxp - Host // SP2 - Client // SP1
Router is a MS Base Station. I can get into the panel from the Host Machine with no problem. The Host machine is connected and all is well, its the client machine that is not available. These two machines have talked to each on a home network for years, but now I am thinking that the WLAN on the laptop died.

Finally, yes the Lan switch is on :)

So, all was well one day, then the connection dropped and I have not been able to fix this problem since.

Thanks in advance.

=-marina-=

Edited by woozygrrl, 10 July 2008 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

woozygrrl

woozygrrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
RESOLVED

As i went down the list of available drivers, I finally connected using the original (2002) driver for the Lan Express (Ambit) from the Sony site.