Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flipping Vista

• Please log in to reply

teaupcoffeetime

teaupcoffeetime

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi I have a copy of windows vista and want to put it on an acer laptop I start the disc from the bootup it installs all the drives but then tells me that it can not find a hard drive any one with any ideas please

Advertisements

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Check in the BIOS (or by opening the laptop) if there is a hard drive, if not you need to place one.

It might be possible that you need to download special drivers to recognize the hard disk. (Or its connector)

teaupcoffeetime

teaupcoffeetime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes there is a hard drive in the laptop it has been running XP for a couple of months wanted to upgrade it to vista

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Yes there is a hard drive in the laptop it has been running XP for a couple of months wanted to upgrade it to vista

Then it seems your hard drive is either malfunctioning or not being supported by the Vista install DVD.

Some people need to put the drivers for the hard disk connector (IDE/ATA/SATA/RAID) on a floppy disk and let the Vista install DVD detect it.
(Pressing F2 or something while the DVD boots.)

Good luck, if you have troubles, let us know.
(You can find most information in the BIOS or looking up the mainboard on the internet, you can get the drivers from the manufacturers site.)