Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubles reformating an old Dell dimension 8400

• Please log in to reply

Mdobejr

Mdobejr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello my fellow geeks,

I Just built this new PC and put all the parts together and installed windows xp. I decided to take this windows XP I purchased and reformat my old Del PC and give it to my mother. I had a little troubles with it at first(said I didnt have a hard drive and what ever, figured that out with the system manufactured floppy disk etc). So I deleted everything off the HDD and started formatting The Windows XP home edition. Everything seemed to go smoothly, I punched in the CD key and set the time zone it installed and it finalized fine. Then it finished. Tried to start up, I see the windows xp screen for a second, then I see the blue screen of death for a second, and finally goes to this screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have cuased this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was
automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known
Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because
the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused theproblem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

I installed this XP Home CD on this PC im on right now, built myself with parts from newegg.com so The CD should be fine. I tried installing the OS again but still same problem. The PC that is giving me problems is a Dell Dimension 8400, I have the old CD's that came with the machine and I guess im going to install that XP home on it to see if it works, but shouldn't any copy of XP home work on it?

All feedback is greatly appreciated

Mike

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you are installing XP on your computer than putting the hard drive in the Dell you can't do that. It gets tied to the hardware it sees on the first boot and will blue-screen on any other configuration.

If you want the XP on the Dell, install XP on the drive when it's connected to the Dell.

Mdobejr

Mdobejr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is the HDD that came with this Dell, I installed Windows XP home on it when it was in this PC. I did not install xp on it while it was in another PC then place it back in the dell. I installed XP while it was in the PC and everything.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it blue-screens on a new installation it may suggest an issue with the Dell's hardware or the hard drive in question.

Mdobejr

Mdobejr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
but it was fine until I reformatted it... :)

ok well I'm at this screen

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

To Delete the selected partition, press D.

76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iaStor [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 71 MB ( 63 MB free)
C: Partition2 [New (Raw)] 72630 MB ( 72629 MB free)
E: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585 MB ( 1967 MB free)
Unpartitioned Space 8 MB

So which one do I set up windows xp on? Can anyone explain this screen a little more to me in detail? whats FAT, FAT32, and new(Raw)?

thnx