Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

resolved

• Please log in to reply

katah2

katah2

• Pip
  • 5 posts
x

Edited by katah2, 12 July 2008 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi,

So if by any chance anyone here is an expert on corporate spying

Ha ha that’s too funny, I am an Organized Retail Crime Investigator and we have all kinds of toys, tricks, and tactics on how to conduct surveillance on employees. Believe me there is no corporate spying going on there… maybe your employers are watching you, but corporate spying would be a whole lot more covert then a box sticking out of the ceiling tile above your desk :)

At this new job I have, there is a weird device in the front reception area ceiling. I'm wondering if it could be a microphone.

With out seeing better pictures or knowing more about your company I really can"t tell you, even if you had a better picture I’m not sure I could tell you, with today’s technology its really hard to tell. I will say this though, it very well could be so act accordingly. People in my business know they are under constant video surveillance; it’s usually only the ones that are doing something wrong that get paranoid.

Also check you corporate policies, and local laws. In some places it’s only legal to video tape, and not record audio with out consent. If it bothers you that much tell security or management, let them look at it they will tell you what it is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....so...you're sitting at work...and worrying about something...and instead of ASKING the boss you decided to physically damage/muck with equipment in the office? people where i work call that "grounds for termination"....no matter if the thing is an air vent OR some super secret spy camera...what you've done constitutes vandalism under certain parts of the law...

it's PROBABLY a speaker for an overhead paging system

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Do you think that it may be a carbon monoxide detector?
Or maybe a smoke detector?
I hope not for your sake, disabling a fire safety device carries a stiff prison sentence!
Your employer may have every safety device that she can get to protect her from lawsuits.