Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick question about Linksys router ?

• Please log in to reply

JeffH74

JeffH74

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all new member here.I'll try to make this brief but i definitely need help.I've been trying unsuccessfully to hook up my Linksys WRT 110 router to my desktop using XP.I even contacted Linksys who said i got a bad router but i'm not so sure.I have it connected to cable modem and comp. and i'm able to access internet(comcast).The included setup disc didnt help me at all.I found a link on here that said you need to change the ip address on the router in order for it to work with your comp. and/or modem,is that correct?Is this something i have to do right after buying it? Any input would be greatly appreciated,i've been agonizing over it the last few days,but thought i'd try here before i returned it.Thanks, Jeff.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
What kind of message shows up? Are you trying to enter your router's page?

JeffH74

JeffH74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What kind of message shows up? Are you trying to enter your router's page?

I did try to access the router on my browser,but the page comes up not found.I have the router hooked up right now and i'm able to access the internet.Does that mean the router is functional at least?Thanks.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
First of all what are you trying to do?? if you can connect just fine, that means the router is fine, depending on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to set up your wireless connection??? please be more specific.

If you want to access your router and just check it out, here's how.

Open the command prompt, Start > Run > type cmd
On the black window, type ipconfig
Look for your IP address and Default gateway, probably gateway would be 192.168.1.1
Use the gateway to access your linksys router, Open Internet Explorer and type the gatewayh IP on the address bar, again, usally for linksys, it's 192.168.1.1.
If it prompts you for a username and password, by default, username is blank (as in dont type anything, leave it blank) and the password is admin

If the router will not let you log in, you can reset it, get a pen and press the small reset button at the back. after doing that, try the steps above again.
If you cant get your internet connection after resetting, poweroff your comcast modem and your router, you may have to remove the battery on your modem as well to completely shut it off. wait 30 secs and turn them back on.

Edited by jrom727, 11 July 2008 - 08:53 PM.

JeffH74

JeffH74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

First of all what are you trying to do?? if you can connect just fine, that means the router is fine, depending on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to set up your wireless connection??? please be more specific.

If you want to access your router and just check it out, here's how.

Open the command prompt, Start > Run > type cmd
On the black window, type ipconfig
Look for your IP address and Default gateway, probably gateway would be 192.168.1.1
Use the gateway to access your linksys router, Open Internet Explorer and type the gatewayh IP on the address bar, again, usally for linksys, it's 192.168.1.1.
If it prompts you for a username and password, by default, username is blank (as in dont type anything, leave it blank) and the password is admin

If the router will not let you log in, you can reset it, get a pen and press the small reset button at the back. after doing that, try the steps above again.
If you cant get your internet connection after resetting, poweroff your comcast modem and your router, you may have to remove the battery on your modem as well to completely shut it off. wait 30 secs and turn them back on.

Yes,i'm trying to set up the router so i can have a wireless connection via laptop.This is where i'm confused,i looked for gateway,but it says 69.242.128.1.I just can't find the router,i only seem to find the modem when i do ipconfig.I even did the pinging on 192.168.1.1,it says request timed out.I thought maybe i need to do the ip renew/release thing,but i didnt want to try it without knowing exactly how to do it.If thats what i need to do.

Edited by JeffH74, 11 July 2008 - 09:05 PM.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
what si your ip address?

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
connect the computer directly to your modem, do an ipconfig /release
unplug the modem from your computer and connect the modem to the WAN port of your router. from your router, connect an Ethernet cable on port 1 then connect the other end of the cable to your computer NIC.

wait for about 30 secs, do an ipconfig again and see what is your gateway IP now. if it is 192.168.1.1, then follow the steps above on how to access your router, you may have to go the status page of the router to renew your IP, i think you will have connect and disconnect button, click on connect.