Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I can't get my desktop nor start menu only wallpaper

• Please log in to reply

BobButler

BobButler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
On my windows 98, I tried to get rid of a virus by using my recovery cd. However after that I lost my desktop and start menu. The only thing displayed is wallpaper. I have also tried to recover it in safe mode but still won't show up.

Is ther anybody out there that can help me restore my computer back in working condition!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The reason you aren't getting any help is because you haven't supplied enough information to work with. Is your recovery CD a full installation or just for repair and booting purposes? What is the make and model of the machine, different makers do things in different ways? Do you have a full install disk if you need to reinstall? You may have installation files in the folder windows/options/cabs, or in a folder named win98 which may be in windows/options or in the root of the drive.

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for responding!
While I was waiting for a respond, I went ahead and reinstalled windows 98. It will start in safe mode with my start menu and destop. In normal mode all I get is that: Windows protection error. You need to restart the computer.

By the way, I still have a e-machine, e-tower 500is with 256 ram. Previously, it had been updated to windows 2000, but since all the problems with the virus & spyware, I re-installed the windows 98. Can you help me get back to normal in the normal mode. Thanks again in advance! :) BobButler

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm not finding any downloads for drivers on the eMachines site so I'm hoping that you have a driver folder in your CD. You may be missing some drivers. Another problem may be that win2000 made some changes to your boot sector which affects booting with win98. If you don't have a driver disk or folder and the problem persists you can download something called DBAN to a floppy and use it to completely erase the hard drive then do a clean installation. That may correct the problem.