Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I cant get XP to boot

• Please log in to reply

Femo

Femo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
I have an XP laptop and sometime ago after updating my antivirus the system wont boot completely. It get to the user loging screen alright, and when you click the user to login to it begins to load personal setting and all that stuff but before it can finish it starts to save the settiongs and logs off back to the user login screen. I tried to boot with safe mode but its still does the same thing even with the administrator user profile. I have connected to hard disk to another computer through usb and ran sfc scannow but that didn't help either.
I have had this particular problem with several XP system and i haven't found a real solution yet. Is there anything else I can do to fix this. i appreciate all suggestions.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mentioned that you have several computers with the same problem. Are they networked? Did the problem started in all of them in the same way (after updating the AV)? What Antivirus are you using?

Let's try to solve the problem on one computer. Disconnect from the internet by switching off your modem/router. Uninstall the antivirus and see if you can log-in.

Femo

Femo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, the systems are not networked. It's only when I update or do some other stuff that it goes online. THe system was using Norton symantec antivirus. Yeah all the systems that have had this problem started right after updating or installing an antivirus. i solved the other instances of the problem by just re-installing the OS but this system is not mine and the person has a lot of documents he does not want to loose. THere is no way for me to get into the system so i cant uninstall the antivirus.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

..... Yeah all the systems that have had this problem started right after updating or installing an antivirus.

Any anti-virus or was it always the same version of Norton? If it's so strongly related to Norton then you may be better off looking for assistance there.

It will be difficult to run any repair without having access to programs and files.

Femo

Femo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It has also happened after installing AVG, so i dont think it's praticular to Norton. THe only way I was able to get access to the files and things was by connecting the hard disk by usb to another computer as an external hd. i wasn't able to make much progress that way.