Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS CONNECTION CONNECTED BUT CANT OPEN INTERNET

• Please log in to reply

CMFUGEN

CMFUGEN

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

i have a laptop with wireless broadcom adapter loaded with xp mediacentre, since last 3 days i can see that my wireless connection is connected but i can not open the internet when i see the status it is showing the speed and the pockets sent but the pockets received are zero and when i tried to open the internet explorer i can not open the net.

i tried to check the ipconfig/all
and i found the following results.

[size="4"]Ipconfig/all

Windows ip configuration:

Host name: XX
Primary dns suffix:
|Node type: unknown
ip routing enabled: no
Wins proxy enbabled: no

Ethernet adaptor local area connection:

Media state: media disconnected
Description: realtek rtl8139/810x family fast Ethernet nic
Physical address: 00-16-36-ac-53-f6

Ethernet adapter wirelss network connection

Connection specific dns suffix

Description: broadcom 801.11g network adapter
Physical address: 00-16-cf-bb-fc-bb
Dhcp enabled: yes
Ip address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway; 192.168.0.1
Dhcp server: 192.168.0.1
Dns server:

i used winsoc fix xp and dint worked
i tried to scan with spyware doctor free version and it is saying that you have 30 infections of backdoor.agent.aju but i cant remove as it is a free version and i trid others to remove but i can not

please help me to revive the internet
thanks

Edited by CMFUGEN, 11 July 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks like your DNS server is not working. Power off the router for about 5 minutes. Power on and wait few minutes to let it function back. Try to connect to the internet.

CMFUGEN

CMFUGEN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi
this is a free internet connection i am having as i dont know where the routor is so i can not do this, please help if there is any other way
thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Move your computer to a place where wireless communication exist (many coffee shops, malls etc) and try to connect there. If you succeed then there is a problem with the "free" router which you mentioned. Please correct me if I am wrong: is this an unsecured router located close by? There is no low that I know of that prohibit such connection but obviously if the other guy move, switch off his router or got it damaged your internet connection goes with him.