Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

lately I've been getting this message

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
The screen goes black for a few seconds, and then returns to normal, with the above message.

I have a new laptop, with Vista Home Premium, 2Gig ram. In Device Manager the Display adapter reads

NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M

Im not technical at all so just thought Id include that information in case its relevant. I googled and found a whole page of people with similar problems.

http://i.nconspicuo....-nvidia-driver/

Unfortunately for me anyway, the solutions were more confusing again! Also everybody was blaming something different:

graphics card
Vista (though it seems to appear in XP too)
the Fan
Aero
and many more. Many have the problem when playing games (mine mainly occurs when playing HEARTS ! Hardly resource hungry!)

Some quoted a fix here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

others say that didnt work!

Im just wondering if anyone has had this or has a solution. Being just 6 months old should the laptop be returned...??

Sorry now, Ive just thought I should have searched the forum here first, but as I have the problem typed I'll submit it anyway.

Thnx

h

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
What is the make and model of the laptop? If it's an HP, please post the full model number from the bottom of the laptop. Usually this issues is caused by outdated display drivers, and simply updating them often makes the problem disappear.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

Yes its a HP, just 6 months old. Some of the links I gave suggest strongly nVidia card updates needed. Others say no!

Anyway the model no of the HP is HP G6000. There is also G6065EA, perhaps this is a variation for Ireland, Im not sure.

Thanks!

h

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Hawthorn,

Please download and install the graphics drivers for your laptop found here.

Also, please update the chipset drivers found here.

Report back and let me know what happens.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you installed SP1? That cleared the issue on several of my Vista machines.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

OK I've downloaded and installed the drivers and chipsets. I probably wont notice for a few weeks if cures it, as it only happens now and again!

I dont have SP1......wasnt sure if I should get it or not. Isnt the search function gone in SP1 or at least not as accessible? I find it very useful.

thanks

h