Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Edit: problem fixed

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Edit: Problem Fixed.

Ok, I'll try to keep this as short a possible; problem first, story second.

Problem: Every time I boot up my laptop, there is an empty "Programs" folder on my desktop. I delete it every time but after I restart, it appears again.

Story: I was trying out different HD, CPU temp, etc. monitoring programs such as speedfan and HWmonitor. I installed, uninstalled, a couple. but then something odd happened. I go to start> all programs and i see a "programs" folder in the "all programs" menu! I open the folder and it displays all the programs that are in the "all programs" menu. Essentially I have a folder of "all programs" duplicated within the "all programs" menu!!!

So I dragged that folder out of the "all programs" menu to the desktop and tried to delete it. Vista said I could not since I did not have permission, however I am the administrator... So I restart my computer and I am able to delete the programs folder from my desktop.

To my surprise, when I started up my computer at a later time, the programs folder reappeared on my desktop but it was empty. Folder properties show that there is one file in the folder but I searched for hidden files and there are none; I've attached the screenshot of the folder properties.
Untitled.jpg

I hope I didn't lose anyone, but that's my story....

Edited by dans1, 11 July 2008 - 07:40 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried "moveonboot".

http://www.softwarep...moveonboot.html

SRX660