Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I thought it was the power supply but...

• Please log in to reply

Ryan Stoeppel

Ryan Stoeppel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I got sick of paying Dell for computers that last a year or two and then when they can't keep up with the latest software and gaming I have to buy a new one (since in their infinite intelligence they made most components proprietary).

Anyways, I researched, bought books, everything I could so I would be smart when attempting to build my own computer from scratch. I followed all the instructions that came with each piece of hardware as well as the step-by-step in color pictures in the best how-to book I could find and I had success...for about 5 minutes.

Anyways, before I go much further in depth here are the system specs:

Case - Rosewill TU-155-P Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU - Rosewill RX630-S-B 630W SLI Ready,APFC,ATX12V v2.2/EPS12V v2.91 Power Supply 115/230 V UL,FCC,CE,TUV,ROHS

MOBO - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

Memory - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

DVD/Optical - SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

Once I am able to (hopefully) get the system working, I will be running Vista Home Premium SP-1 64-bit as well as installing an EVGA GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card.

Anywho, yesterday after I finished following all the instructions (my one minor mess-up was I forgot to attach the +12V connector to the mobo) I turned it all on and hallelujah it worked...for about a minute. The computer started to boot up, but me being the person with ADD that I am, missed the prompt to boot into the BIOS. Anyways, another screen popped up basically telling me that I needed to reboot (I'm hoping some of you know what I'm referring to because that is about as in-depth as I can remember). I tried holding down the reset button on the front panel but nothing happen, so then I tried the on/off button on the front panel and again nothing happened. I was frozen on that screen. I then depressed and held down the front panel power button (as I have done with my Dell in the past when it freezes up), but unlike my Dell it didn't reboot, it just shut off and I haven't been able to get it back on since.

I unplugged and replugged everything as per the instruction manuals and such and I am still unable to get the computer turned on. When it shut off yesterday there was no smoking or smell or anything from the case, it just quietly shut off and has been in slumber ever since. At first I thought the problem was with the PSU, so I sent that back to be exchanged, but in the meantime while I was waiting I purchased another, brand new PSU (Thermaltake Purepower 500W Power Supply) just to test my suspicion, and hope, that it was just a faulty power supply, but after trying the new one I still can't get the system to turn on.

I'm pretty much at a loss as to what could be causing the disconnect. The one thing I will say is that the power button on the front panel is somewhat smushy so my only other thought is that it could have to do with that, but before I send that back I thought I'd come try for some help. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

There is a sticky that may be able to help you, and that does involve taking everything out of the case to boot - this will rule out (or determine) the case's power button as the culprit.

Read up on it here, and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Troy