Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slows to a halt with only 25% CPU usage and 30% RAM

• Please log in to reply

atomicpropel

atomicpropel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all,

I've been having this weird problem with my Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit system since I installed it. Pretty much, when I run cpu intensive programs like iTunes, the computer slows down significantly to the point where the mouse no longer moves smoothly (it jumps every so often). Furthermore, if iTunes is minimized while playing music and I maximize it, the music starts skipping and repeating itself for about a minute and then starts playing normally again. However, this only happens with a few programs, and I've run Prime95 (four instances to test an overclock) for 12 hours with no problems. During the torture test, my mouse moved fine and the cpu was at 100%. Furthermore, during the slowdown, my CPU is only at 25% usage and physical memory is at 30%. Any idea what could be causing this?

It also happens during the printing of a lightscribe label. While doing this, my cursor and the computer won't function properly until the label is finished printing, at which point it speeds up instantly. To give you an idea, when I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL during the hangup, it took 23 seconds for the screen to change to the option menu compared to the usual time of less than a second.

By the way, here are my specs:

Intel Q9450 processor
Gigabyte X48-DQ6 Motherboard
8 GB (4 x 2GB) Mushkin XP2-8500 RAM
500 GB WD Caviar HDD

Thank you for any and all help!!

Advertisements