Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network device cannot start.

• Please log in to reply

w8n4daGreatDay

w8n4daGreatDay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
when I click through ->Control Panel
->Add Hardware
---->clicking "next" in Add Hardware Wizard
-------->Have you already connected this hardware to your computer? I click "Yes I have already connected the hardware."
------------->next

Then right at the top of the list is a yellow exclamation mark beside "Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with Speedbooster"

I then highlight it and click next and get this message:"Here is the current status of the hardware you selected: This device cannot start.(Code 10)

Can anyone please tell me whether or not my network adapter is kaput? If not, what can I do to get it going again? Or how can I definitely know that it is no good anymore? Should these things crap out every 90 days? I've tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it unsuccessfully. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions for this noob? Thank you.

Advertisements

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi w8n4daGreatDay

If its not the USB device itself, you should try and re-install your USB controllers.

Start with unplugging all external USB devices (Not keyboard / Mouse)

Open Control-panel either through start or "MyComputer", click on system.

then:

1: Hardware tab
2: Device manager
3: Expand Universal serial bus controllers
4: Right-click and remove every one of them
5: Reboot, and follow the prompts for re-installing them

Test if your USB device works.

You may also want to test it on another PC if possible, to exclude the device itself.
If you do not have access to another PC, try see if your local library have one for use.

-Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 11 July 2008 - 07:58 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also check your BIOS settings to make sure that everything is properly enabled. If the machine has an integrated network device you may need to disable that to get this external one working.