Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

building my first computer

• Please log in to reply

compy-noob

compy-noob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok im changing this thing up a bit
this is my first time building a comp and i want to put a EVGA GeForce GTX 280 overclocked Video Card in it but i dont know what its compatible with at all.as of now money aint much of a problem so if the part is a lil spendy its all cool
any help would be appreciated
Tyler

Edited by compy-noob, 12 July 2008 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

The GTX 280 is a PCI Express 2.0 graphics card, so you'll need a motherboard that can support this. PCI Express 2.0 is also backwards-compatible with PCI Express x16, in case you're wondering about this.

The GTX 280 is also a very power hungry graphics card, so you'll want to ensure you have a quality PSU to power it, along with the rest of your system.

Are you wanting a complete build list with the GTX 280 graphics card included? If so, what will your uses be for the system (apart from gaming :))? Give us some kind of budget to work with, at least! Like $1000 or $1500 or something?

Cheers

Troy

compy-noob

compy-noob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome :)
Well the comp will b manly for gaming but i will also be using for day to day use and yes a i would like a complete build list.O and the most i want to put into this thing is 1500$ at this point in time.
I would also like to be able to up grade this thing later on ill be adding a second graphics card later on.
o and 1 lil question would the EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card "its factory over clocked" or would the EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card - KO Edition or the EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card super clocked edition be better?

Edited by compy-noob, 12 July 2008 - 12:44 PM.