Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i dont have a xp repair option

• Please log in to reply

brute force

brute force

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i have a pending issue in the malware forum. i was told to go to this forum to see if it can be solved.

i was give instruction to boot from my xp disk and choose repair per the sticky in this forum. i dont get a repair option. i go all the way to the point where it is about to format the drive. obviously i dont want that. why do i not have a repair option?

here are the references

http://www.geekstogo...a...30&start=30

thanks for your help

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What is the make and model of your system and what are you using for an XP cd?

Murray

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
dell dimension 3000 with my xp slipstreamed sp2 cd

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

xp slipstreamed sp2 cd

Did you slipstream the Dell cd?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 11 July 2008 - 10:44 PM.

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
no. slipstreamed my xpcd full package. not the dell cd

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you have an original, non-slipstreamed XP disc to use? If not, you may need to borrow one.

If you follow the instructions in the sticky, you shouldn't get to the format stage before you realise the repair is not an available option. The instructions posted are exact.

Troy

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
so there are different flavors of XP? if i got an original xp disc (not dell disc), then i would see the option to repair?

that was never an option besides the "repair" option you get with the recovery console. and that is not the repair option i want according to the sticky

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You have an OEM cd and most of those, if not all, do not give a repair option. You will need to0 borrow the same retail cd from someone (XP Home or Pro) to run a repair.

Murray

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok. i actually thought i had a retail and i would need the OEM since this CD is not from Dell

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

ok. i actually thought i had a retail and i would need the OEM since this CD is not from Dell

Where is it from?

Murray

Advertisements

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
the cd i have was from a store bought or corporate licensed cd that i slipstreamed to sp2.

i dont understand why i am not getting a repair option with the cd. anyway around this?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

the cd i have was from a store bought or corporate licensed cd that i slipstreamed to sp2.

i dont understand why i am not getting a repair option with the cd. anyway around this?

Corporate licenses are only available through Microsoft. Sounds more like a version you downloaded from the net. Where is your Dell cd?

Murray

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
i have no idea. why do you ask? do i need an OEM cd?

brute force

brute force

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
my cd is from a legit corp license. so corp licenses are not just "paper". i have cd's

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Brute Force,

After reading through your Malware Forum thread, and this thread again, it's obvious that you are unable to continue until you obtain an original Microsoft Windows XP disc.

Why do you have a Corporate Edition of Windows XP? Is this a work computer? If so, the IT Administrator from your work should have the original disc for you to access? If it's not a work computer, then I question whether or not you should have the Corporate Edition installed at all. The XP Corporate Edition was known for its installation that did not require a COA Product Code input to install, and became popular on P2P for people trying to get a "free" (i.e. stolen, illegit) version of Windows.

If your version is not legitimate, then we cannot help you here as it is against the Terms of Use, to which you agreed when you joined this site.

If you aren't sure at all, then feel free to visit the Microsoft website to double-check that your version installed is, in fact, legit. You'll still need to track down an original disc (all fancy looking with Microsoft holograms etc) for the repair. Any retail disc will have it, along with the official Microsoft OEM disc. Any other OEM (i.e. from Dell, Acer, and the like) will be manufactured to include their own recovery console, and will not have the repair function available.

Cheers

Troy