Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help fixing broken monitor

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hello,
I recently obtained a broken monitor from a friend. Nothing serious is wrong with it. It just stopped working. Please do not send me links to other websites. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me personally fix it. thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If this is a CRT monitor it's not worth fixing. If its a LCD you might try looking here.

http://ezinearticles...e...r&id=222546

http://www.instructa.....ow-to-do-it?/

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/

http://ezinearticles...b...t&id=704219

SRX660

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It is a 20" lcd hd monitor

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You might mention more about the situation and the exact model number of the HP LCD. Have you tried hooking it up to your PC and get same problem? Do you get any power on indication? Either standby or full on light? Checked power cord or even subbed a new one?

These monitors are not that easily repaired by a non-electronics person. I have an Associate's Degree in electronic engineering and I was always apprehensive on opening up a new piece to be repaired. You may have a simple problem like LCD (window) cleaner has leaked down and contaminated the contacts for the switches, one of the other buttons may be jammed close causing processor not to sense the power on command; may have an actual component failure in the power supply, etc..

Would be well worth taking it to an authorized service shop if you got it free.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 July 2008 - 04:05 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It is a DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor. It doesnt get any power. I plug it in, and no lights come on anywhere.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A search for a service manual was unsuccessful. You might contact [email protected] at Howard W. Sams to see if they have a PhotoFact for the DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor. The only other alternative is to see if Dell carries the service manual.

I'm hesitant to give any additional help without a service manual.

Ron

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Have you checked the simplest of fixes - the plug's fuse? Or another kettle lead?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Have you checked the simplest of fixes - the plug's fuse? Or another kettle lead?

Suggested in post #4 about power cord. never got feedback about subbing with new cord.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 13 July 2008 - 06:44 PM.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Yes, i have tried everything and it still doesnt work. I guess the only thing left is to find a technician or someone who can fix lcd screens

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A licensed service tech is the best course. Without a proper service manual, it is difficult to troubleshoot and would be more so via these posts even with a service manual. The suggested things were just to ensure that it wasn't something simple that could be fixed quickly. At least, with a service shop you can get an estimate of repairs if monitor is repairable and make your decision then to continue or not.

Ron

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
LOL or you could contact Dell Tech Support for a replacement if it is not working. The minimum warranty is three years, call (800-624-9896) or chat (www.dell.com/chat) in and get a replacement monitor. If no lights are coming on and another power cord doesn't fix it, the monitor needs to be replaced. If it is still covered by a warranty, we'll do it for free.