Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu question

• Please log in to reply

javi88

javi88

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a question about cpus... i want to buy a new cpu for my computer .... the higher the frequency the faster the cpu is?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

To a certain extent, you are correct. But there are other factors involved that determine the speed of the processor, such as the number of cores, the cache size...

What CPU do you currently have, and what are you looking at getting? You'll need to make sure you maintain compatibility with your motherboard, though. Feel free to post your motherboard make/model too, and we can help you get the best upgrade "bang for your buck!"

Cheers

Troy

javi88

javi88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Biostar TA780G M2+ Motherboard - v6.0

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+2.30GHz OEM Processor ADO4400IAA5DO
Increase your performance with the AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual core processor. Work or play with multiple programs without any stalling or waiting. Dual-core technology is like having two processors, and two working together is better and faster than one working alone.

- Processor Speed: X2 4400+ / 2.30GHz
- Cache Size: 1MB
- Processor Socket: Socket AM2

well i was asking because i want to build a new computer for gaming and i want to be sure which is the best cpu i can use ( less than 500 bucks ) because i've seen cpus that are 3ghz and cost $200 and other that are 2.60ghz and cost 300 so i want to know how can i determine which cpu i need or which is the best.

Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So you're upgrading the processor in the current computer, or you're looking for information to help you choose parts for a new build? Or both?

Troy

javi88

javi88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well yes i want information that can help me choose parts for a new build