Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup Network Files

• Please log in to reply

tgd3

tgd3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So here's my problem: My college requires us to purchase rather expensive computers to be used for school work. The Tech Dept. puts an image on the computer that installs a network (shared drives and printers) and programs. The image, however, makes the computer slower and limits what we can do on it. I would like to know how to extract the networking files off the computer so that when I format the hard drives (to get rid of the school's image) I can just drag the networking files back to where they came from so I can still have printing and files sharing privileges. I've tried to see if the Tech Dept. will just put the network on my computer but it's "all or nothing."

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The shared drives ideally needed to be done at the time as while it is possible to add it later, it occasionally decides it doesn't want to work. The shared printers would need drivers that would only install if the printer was available at the time.

It would appear the way your college has set these up is the only way it can be done. As to usage restrictions these may be imposed by your college's IT policies which is what you agree to when you joined the college. Therefore if you have an issue with them we can't help you, you'll have to take it up with the college.