Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I go back?

• Please log in to reply

TerryL

TerryL

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Having had time to think about this over night (woke up in a sweat!) I don't think I have followed the most sensible path of action.

I had run Antispyware on my HP Laptop and it came up with a few 'infections', which it removed. It informed me that to clear things completely I needed to re-boot my PC. Closed down OK but then seemed to be in a loop and wouldn't re-boot.

I eventually managed to get to a screen that told me:

STOP: C000021a fatal system failure
The Windows logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a staus of Oxc0000005 .....

- there was a bit more of the message, which I have if it's needed.

I couldn't get the laptop to boot so resorted to using the PC Recovery disks I created in August 2006. With hindsight I really wish I had tried to find out more about how to get around the problem above, but I hoped that if I could at least boot the PC I might be able to use System Restore to go back to a 'clean point'.

I can't do a System Restore as there is only the restore point that the PC Recovery disk created.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get back to the point I was at yesterday? I have not attempted to use the laptop since (doesn't recognise my wireless connection, etc.) so I am using my trusty old slow desktop PC to send this message.

I appreciate that this may not be something that you can sort out 'remotely' and I am aware that I may need some 'hands on help' and would happy for any advice or recommendations - I am in South Manchester - UK.

Whatever it takes, I just hope I can get back to where was I was without having to start everything over. If starting all over is the only option then so be it, but I'm hoping for one of your wizard solutions!

Anybody out there able to offer any help or advice?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Terry

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello TerryL...

After using the recovery disks, going back to where you were yesterday is now impossible. That being said, if you had data on the machine that needs to be recovered, there are programs available that may be able to recover at least some of that. I, personally, have not had much luck with free offerings, but I have has some good success using GetDataBack (cost: about $80) which will recover old files even after a system drive has been overwritten as yours has. It may not be able to recover all of what you had, but it should be able to recover at least some of the data.

Now for the really bad news...

With the error you had, bringing the machine back may have been as easy as choosing "Last known good configuration" from the Advanced Boot Options (Safe Mode) screen. Last known good configuration rolls the Windows registry back to a previous registry that worked.

wannabe1

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Wannabe1 - thanks for the quick response and the s/ware suggestion.

I had tried to boot in Safe mode and tried all the different options before I resorted to the PC Recovery disks. At one point it looked like the hard disk might have been at fault as the boot was going nowhere.

Does this data recovery recover applications as well? On my newly restored laptop I have. for example, Photoshop Elements, but when I try to use it it's coming up with an error that the serial number or something similar is incorrect and won't run.

Thanks for your help and advice so fare.

Cheers,

Terry

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unfortunately not.

Applications will have to be reinstalled to have them work properly. While GDB may be able to recover the files associated with the applications, that in itself will not make them work.

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Wannabe1 - hello.

My laptop problems above occured after running a Super Antispyware scan, but I had not connected this to the problems I encountered,

I ran a Suoer Antispyware scan on my desktop and guess what - EXACTLY the same problem has now occurred. The desktop goes to the 'Windows starting up' screen and then the screen goes black and it starts re-booting.

I have tried to start in Safe Mode, and I have tried to go back to the last known good configuration but the PC just seems to loop whatever. When it is re-booting I think a message flashes up about being unable to find the boot record, but I can not read it as it flashes off the screen. Having messed up my laptop I am keen to take the best course of action to 'save' my desktop.

I am running Windows XP.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get round this problem, and have you come across Super Antispyware causing this sort of issue?

I am in your hands and would really appreciate some advice and something to try to get my desktop working again.

Thanks for any help you can offer as I'm now a bit stuck.

Cheers and thanks for your help and advice so far.

Terry

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have added a new topic to cover the problems I am having with my desktop.

Cheers.

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Problems still ongoing - see new topic today "Unable to Use Recovery Console"

This topic can be closed at some point in the future.

Thanks,

Terry