Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

desktop disappeared

• Please log in to reply

drjeff

drjeff

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
I have worked with LTangelic to clean my brothers xp. The only thing left to do is get the newest java to install, and get his desktop back. Please help me to get his desktop back up.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello drjeff...

Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your desktop. Right click on the extracted file and choose "Merge"...accept the change and reboot.

Does your desktop appear?

Attached File  fixdesktop.zip   579bytes   47 downloads

wannabe1

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
rebooting right now............... darn, no luck, It goes from the welcome screen straight to black. I downloaded, extracted, and ran the zip file as best as I could without their actually being a desktop. can't right click anywhere on screen, or get start menu to appear. Thanks for your help, this is definetly a tricky desktop. I wish I could just smack it into place, cause my brothers going back to florida today.

Edited by drjeff, 12 July 2008 - 01:11 PM.

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Doesn't smitfraud fix cause the desktop to disappear if you run it on a non-infected system? Because I did run smitfraud fix before posting my original forum thread for the malware help. But it was the day after I ran smitfraud, when my brother downloaded realplayer, and then rebooted, is when the desktop decided to hide. Realplayer has since been uninstalled.

Edited by drjeff, 12 July 2008 - 01:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can access Task Manager, click on the "New Task" button to open the run command. Type explorer.exe in the open field and click "Ok".

Does this provide the desktop...even briefly?

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nothing, the outline of the taskmanager window kinda flashes white very quickly, but nothing else appears.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
He purchased this XP used a few years ago. It is around 10yrs old and had a few previous owners. He does not have an xp cd. We might be able to buy one or something. Any ideas?

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It is an HP Pavilion a730n, when i hit f10 during a reboot we get to the windows recovery console. From there his options are to log onto 1. D:\MiniNT
2. D:\i386 and 3. C:\windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the late reply...I got called away unexpectedly.

HP may offer you a non-destructive recovery from the partitions you mentioned. I would think it would be in the D: partition. A non-destructive recovery will leave your data intact and replace only the system tiles...which is just what the Dr. ordered in your case.

Access the D: partition as see if you are offered the option of a non-destructive recovery.

drjeff

drjeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much for your help. My brother had to fly back to florida, so I ran out of time to try and use his HP D:/ drive. But I explained to him that if he got an XP installation CD that it should be able to restore his desktop. If he upgraded to XP pro, wouldn't this probably restore his desktop as well? I'll be keeping in touch with him to help as best I can. He told me to tell you thanks as well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, an upgrade would repair the problem with the desktop. If he can lay his hands on an XP disk of the same flavor as is currently installed on the machine, the Repair installation would also take care of the problem. Using the recovery partition is a bit of an iffy proposition as it's very easy to end up with a destructive recovery...which will format the drive and destroy the data.

I hope all goes well... :)