Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 64 with 4gb of ram problem.

• Please log in to reply

1_MICHAEL

1_MICHAEL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Vista home premium 64 bit and i just bought an extra 2gb of ram to make my total 4gb (4 x 1gb) of ram. The ram is tested and has no faults. But whenever I have more than 3gb installed at once the computer becomes extremely sluggish and wont connect to the internet. I spent hours googleing this and found no answers so far. A hot fix exists for this (929777) but when I install it it says "This update does not apply to your computer" and quits. I updated my bios, and all the drivers for my video card and sound card. right now I am using 3gb of ram without a problem. memory timings and voltages are all set to auto. The ram is corsair pc5400 (667mhz).

I know there are a lot of other people with the same problem. is there anyway I can fix this without having to buy a new motherboard?

my system:
-vista 64
-nvidia 8800GTS
-SB audigy 4
-core 2 duo e6300
-(mobo) asus P5NSLI

Thank you!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There may be an option in the BIOS to fix this. On some boards you have an option to limit the amount of memory for 32-bit OS's, as you have a 64-bit OS this option is irrelevant to you. It's somewhere along the lines of Memory Remapping in the BIOS if your board has such an option.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You can try looking here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605