Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Java/Javascript

• Please log in to reply

Jacksown

Jacksown

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello,

I have the latest version of Java, yet it doesn't seem to be enabled when going to websites like youtube, pogo.com, espn.com, etc. This means that videos don't show up on youtube, I can't play games on pogo.com, and drop down menus don't work on espn.com. This happens on all websites and i just noticed that even google images doesn't work because no pictures come up. What I first did was check and see if I had the latest Java version on their website; I didn't, so i updated. I restarted my browser and everything started working as it was supposed to(youtube vids came up, etc.). I restarted my computer and encountered the problem again, in which java wasn't being enabled when browsing websites. I checked internet options to see if i could manually enable java, yet it seemed to already be enabled in internet options. The last thing I tried was to reinstall java, yet that too did not fix the problem. I'm currently using windows vista. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. Thanks.

One more thing - I just tried to open mcafee security center so I could update it, but I couldnt open it...I double clicked on it and the loading screen came on, but it just lagged there. Maybe this is a totally different problem?

Edit: I searched google and this seems to be a javascript problem. One solution was downloading the latest scripting host, yet this was for windows xp and not vista. I just finished activating vbscript through the command prompt too. I was also reading something about disabling UAC but dont know if that relates.

Please help!

Edited by Jacksown, 12 July 2008 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Well your first problem is that you're running Vista :) just kidding, but not really!

I have been tracking Vista since the beta days and problems like this can be very difficult to fix as you cannot do things like uninstall and reinstall IE or any of the Windows core components, you can only turn them on and off.

I would try turning off UAC, might not fix your problem but it is a pointless tool that does nothing but annoy you. Also remove McAfee as it is rubbish and will undoubtably interfere with your system at some point. If you really want an anti virus then try something like AVG but in 19 years of computing I have never used one and never gotten a virus. Also get rid of any firewall software, such as ZoneAlarm which causes problems too.

Then remove all instances of Java and run something like ccleaner or advanced windowscare personal which will fix any broken registry links (be sure to take a backup).

After rebooting a million times reinstall Java and try it out then worry about any anti virus you might want to put on.

Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic, I just hate Vista. Hope that helps.

Jacksown

Jacksown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled Mcafee and that actually fixed the problems I was having with my web browser and the same problems I was having with windows task bar(nothing was properly loading on it). After that I ran CCcleaner which removed a good amount of crap from my computer.

I'm happy that I got that fixed, but i actually just noticed that vista continues to fail at installing new updates. It might even be failing when trying to download the updates. Basically what happens is I first click to update and it starts searching for updates, yet thats as far as it goes. It eventually just says failed to update. Next, I turn off my computer by clicking "Install updates and then shutdown" and it looks like it works because in the end it says 2 of 2 updates installed, yet when I turn my computer back on I'm faced with the same update process that fails to complete. It says there are 18 updates that I should install and are listed as important or recommended. Can someone help me with this problem. Thanks.

Jacksown

Jacksown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well after searching on google for quite some time i fixed the problem.

My first step was:

Step 1: Check the Internet connection settings

============================================================

a. Start Internet Explorer.

b. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

c. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.

d. Click to select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK two times

Step 2: Check whether the IPv4 and IPV6 settings are set to automatic.

==========================================================================

Click on Start, Network.

Click on Network and Sharing Center.

Click on Manage Network Settigns from the left.

Right click on Local Area Connection and select properties from the left.

Click on TCP/IP v4 properties and then click on Properties, select the option Obtain IP address and DNS settings

automatic

Click on TCP/IP v6 properties and then click on Properties, select the option Obtain IP address and DNS settings

automatic

Click on Apply and OK to continue

Step 3: Reflush the IP address and DNS server settings.

=====================================================

Click on Start, in search box type cmd. Right click on the cmd and select the option ‘Run As Administrator’,

click on Ok to continue.

Type the command below

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

This didn't completly fix the problem but did allow me to atleast see what error code was coming up. Final thing I did was:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
Run as
Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type "fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\ ",
without the quotation marks and then
press ENTER.
5. Reboot your machine and try to update again.

My Problems have been resolved :)

Edited by Jacksown, 13 July 2008 - 11:13 PM.