Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't Load System32 missing

• Please log in to reply

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well, it looks like i made a mistake. I tried to recover VIA the microsoft method of copying and baking up registry files, then deleting the old ones, then copying the recently created ones. well, i made sure every step was followed and it seemed like i was doing it correctly, but when i went to copy "c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" it said it couldn't be found. Awful. All the other files copied over fine and were successful. Upon exiting and rebooting I got the usual message, which I'm assuming is because the file is actually deleted now rather than corrupted. I realize this is quite a blunder on my part, I'm currently running chkdsk again to see if it will have a different outcome this time around. If i should just stop what I'm doing right now please let me know. Thank you for your help and sorry i didn't wait long enough for your reply. If i'm too far gone, please let me know.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First and foremost: backup your data

No point in running chdsk at this point of time. Run XP repair as suggested in my previous post.

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
thank you for your help and patients thus far. I really appreciate it and im sorry if i'm driving you crazy. I am currently following the directions of the link you provided but have come to a screen that isn't mentioned in the walkthrough. It doesn't give me the option of repairing but only asks if i'd like to intall xp on an available partrition. Could this have something to do with my epic fail trying to manually copy and delete the system32 files?

edit: well i think this is because of the XP cd i have being the dell media center one and i will need to borrow a regular copy from someone, if i can find one :-/

Edited by TheAesthetic, 14 July 2008 - 01:16 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You don't drive me crazy at all, don't worry about that. Please double check if you don't have the Repair option. If you don't, then you may have an OEM version of XP that does not include this option. If possible, try with a borrowed disk and use your own product key when asked to do so.

I have seen this repair-missing problem a number of times and I must admit that I couldn't find any logic in this. There is no pattern that I could follow. In principle all retail XP versions should have the repair option. When it comes to OEM I just don't know.

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yeah, it looks like its the oem version. this doesn't make any sense. I think i'm going to have a hard time finding a friend with a non oem copy, but I'll check around and hopefully I can find someone who has what i'm looking for. Thanks for all your help again, it's appreciated to the nth degree and i've certainly come to learn more about my OS. I'll report back soon if i can/can't find a non oem cd. Worst case scenario, what would be the best choice to go about if I can't find a non oem copy?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
it's up to you to decide. Personally I hardly run XP repair because I consider the process unreliable. I don't know what you have on your computer and how difficult it is for you to rebuild it program-wise. Had I been in your position now (I have been many times before) I would back up the data and clean format the machine. Here, in G2G we do not rush to suggest reformat partly because the user must understand that he has to reinstall all the drivers and programs. If you are aware of that, and if you have all the material available, then my advice is to go for that.