Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with "automatic antenna" in laptop

• Please log in to reply

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I was reading a topic in one of the open discussion forums and realized that I may have a real problem here. I have an acer that has internet management built in. Apparently, when I boot up, it automatically turns on the antenna and looks for a wifi. One is connection is labeled Linksys and it automatically connects to it. According to one of the articles I read linked to the open discussion forum, "If you've ever seen an ad-hoc network show up on your list of networks with the SSID of a brand-name router -- such as Linksys or Netgear -- in an area where you know no routers are present, you're seeing the same phenomenon. A user last connected to a network using one of these routers, whose owner kept the out-of-the-box SSID, and the notebook is now broadcasting that SSID." I try to pay attention and turn the antenna off but sometimes it comes back on all by itself. From what I read on one of the search links posted I'm apparently connecting to someone else's computer (from my apartment)? I found settings in windows to turn off automatic searches for networks and to delete the networks from the "available" list but as long as the antenna is on, which acer apparently automatically turns on, acer still finds the linksys access and tries to log on. I've looked all through the "empowering technology" interface and can't find anyplace to turn this off. Anyone out there have any experience with this and know how to help me out?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you checked Acer's User's manual for an external switch? I have a Toshiba and it has one for the Wi-Fi. It was very hard to locate and practically invisible.

Ron

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I have an Acer notebook computer, and they only have a on/off button for the wireless, not an actual switch. Even if I turn it off, it will turn itself back on again on the next reboot.

If you like, you can do what I have done - and uninstalled pretty much all of the Acer "empowering technology" programs... From the Programs and Features control panel applet in Vista. On looking under your name, it says you're using Windows 2000 Professional, so you'll find it under the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet. In specific, I'm pretty sure the one you want to get rid of is eNet Management, or similar. (It was a while ago, so I don't remember the exact name).

Uninstalling the programs was the only way to get rid of all those rotten programs, they never worked properly anyway. From day one when I bought it, I could not get it to burn me a backup set of system restore discs - and Acer support decided there might be something wrong with the DVD Burner itself, even after repeatedly telling them I can burn other discs no problems... :) I couldn't be stuffed pushing it any further, if it blows up, I'll just format the lot with my other computer's Vista disc, and be rid of Acer's preinstalled rubbish forever.

Sorry for the rant!

Troy