Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start up keep getting error message

• Please log in to reply

sdmayhem

sdmayhem

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
When I start my system up it displays a blue sreen.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000024 (0x00190203, 0x8231f828, 0x0000102, 0x00000000)

If anyone knows what I could do to restore my computer please I need all the help I can get.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. It is suggested running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* General Discussion {KB 228888} Win 2000, Win XP
* Caused by Open Handles while closing an application {KB 195857} Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP

More than likely you will need to run the recovery console from a XP CD, since you cannot even get into windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

You can run chkdsk in recovery console.

You can also read this technet article but be prepared for some heavy reading.

http://technet.micro...y/bb457122.aspx

SRX660

sdmayhem

sdmayhem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you so much for the help, Ill post my results once I'm able to get to work doing this I have a busy week so I you might not hear from me for awhile but thanks for all the help its highly appreciated.