Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new linux user

• Please log in to reply

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
im growing tired of windows as its nothing but bloated software. i want to give linux a try. so my question(s) is which distro of linux would be good for a beginner and where can i purchase a laptop with it built in. i currently have a 17" widescreen HP (Windows Vista). so if i could get another 17" widescreen, life would be good! (i dont think i can go down to 15 after having this 17" for so long). all opinions will be appreciated, thank you. feel free to email me as well ... [email protected]

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,645 posts
There are various threads on this topic. First, I would try a LiveCD, such as Knoppix or Ubuntu. Many people seem to like Ubuntu.

I am not sure if anyone is shipped with Linux on a laptop, although I heard rumor that NewEgg is.

You should be able to dual boot your current machine or run a Virtual machine with a package like VirtualBox.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Lenovo list 3 with SLED.
Dell has several models with Ubuntu.
Everex is a low priced notebook.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
thanks guys. ill probably get Ubuntu. im going to talk to a few other friends of mine, just to get their thoughts on this.