Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

C:\ Drive & Extrenal Hard drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

ipaloma

ipaloma

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I'm currently having a problem with my boyfriend's computer. When I try to double click to open either it opens up a separate window. So now in order to open up either drive I have to right-click -> open.

Posted Image

I tried going into the properties to see if I could change anything and there's no option there showing that a change can be made. I tried doing a system restore, but nothing happened; I was having the same problem with my USB and then I formatted it and it went back to normal. I don't want to format either drives, there's too much info on there that my bf needs.

I think I may know what caused the problem, his anti-virus detected a worm "fun.xls.exe" on my USB and on his external hard drive and I had it moved to the virus vault. A warning showed up saying if this was moved it would cause the system to crash...I moved it anyway and nothing really happed except for the problem I just stated. Please help & thanks! :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ipaloma...

I'm not sure I completely understand what the question is here.

Is it that when you try to open something, it asks you what program you want to open with (as is hinted at by the image you posted), is it that it always tries to open using the wrong default application (as is hinted at by the Adobe being selected by default in the image), or is it that it opens up in a separate window and you'd like it to open in the same window?

wannabe1

ipaloma

ipaloma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, I want to figure out how to open up the drives without asking what programs to use. Just like you would open up your C drive, it doesn't give a prompt of what programs to use, it just opens it. What I'm asking is, what can I do to get it to work normally?

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

No, I want to figure out how to open up the drives without asking what programs to use. Just like you would open up your C drive, it doesn't give a prompt of what programs to use, it just opens it. What I'm asking is, what can I do to get it to work normally?

Please note that the issue you have having *could* be caused by malware, so please follow the advise in this thread. to be safe.

In the meantime, please follow these steps to resolve your issue:

• Go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/
  • Find the link that says ""Drive" Association Fix for XP" and right-click on it. Select save link as or save target as and save the file to your desktop.
  • Right-click on XP_drive_fix.reg and select "Merge"
  • Click "Yes" to acknowledge the change to the registry.
  • Reboot

Edited by ClickRight, 13 July 2008 - 04:12 PM.

ipaloma

ipaloma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I merged the key to my registry and nothing happened. I'm still having the same problem...I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it found 22 worms and it's still acting the same way... :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

ipaloma

ipaloma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:17:27 AM, on 8/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oaui.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNetwk.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Quisqueya\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACU] "C:\Program Files\Atheros\ACU.exe" -nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OnlineArmor GUI] "C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oaui.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service - Prolific Technology Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Online Armor (SvcOnlineArmor) - Tall Emu - C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

--
End of file - 4403 bytes

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...my antivirus still finds msfun80.exe, msime82.exe, & fun.xls.exe in the computer. If I remove them I can't open the C:\ drive normally by double clicking, instead I have to right click and highlight open in order for it to work.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there. HijackThis logs will only be read if posted in the Malware forum, NOT HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

ipaloma

ipaloma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I already made my own post in the malware forum, I accidentally posted this on here.