Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM won't Uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Misty M

Misty M

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

I've been trying to uninstall AOL Instant Messenger. When I try I get this message:

"This application has failed to start because idlemon.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application my fix this problem.

Then I get this error message:

Could not load the DLL library c:\programfiles\AIM\aimapi.dll The specified module could not be found"

So I downloaded AOL again & then tried to uninstall it. It then tells me to finish running the installer, which I've done. Now I'm getting alerts that I've picked up Trojans from my Free AVG Resident Shield. When I try to move the trojans to the virus vault, I get the message the vault is filled.

How can I get rid of AIM for good? Do I have more problems than I know?

Thanks,

Linda In Vancouver

Advertisements

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Get Unlocker - http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/. Unlock the file you wish to remove and click the remove (or delete): it will probably say that it can't, but 'would you like to remove it on the next start up'. Click yes and restart your machine. Unlocker will then remove it.

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I've downloaded Unlocker but for some reason it won't work. The shortcut on the toolbar (looks like a wand witha star?) does nothing when I click it. Did a search for the files and tried to open from there but nothing is working. I do have a shortcut on the desk top for Ebay now though.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much,

Linda in Vancouver

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

You may want to try Revo Uninstaller

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I use this on a day to day basis and I wouldn't use anything else to replace it :) it is quick, simple and effective and has never failed me yet :)

When you see the un-install method select advanced and follow the on-screen instructions, if you have any problems with this I will be more than happy to take you through the complete process :)

Edited by wizzy2k5, 16 July 2008 - 06:46 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Ok, I've downloaded Unlocker but for some reason it won't work. The shortcut on the toolbar (looks like a wand witha star?) does nothing when I click it. Did a search for the files and tried to open from there but nothing is working. I do have a shortcut on the desk top for Ebay now though.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much,

Linda in Vancouver

Unlocker works through right clicking a file.
You right click the file and hit "Unlocker" which also has a wand next to it.

What wizzy2k5 suggested is also a good suggestion to try :)

Regards,
Olrik

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi again,

I've downloaded Revo Uninstaller and it seems to work fine. However when I got to the page with all the entries in bold it said to read carefully and check the things in bold I wanted to install.

Some of the things are obvious, it say's "AIM" but the others in bold are just strings of numbers (codes I guess) & I cant tell what they are. I'm guessing registry entries but am not sure. All the bolded items have the same sort of icon next to them, looks like a piece of jigsaw puzzle. Do I check all of these entries? I don't want to mess up my registry.

I've looked at their Help section & to it it's as clear us mud LOL. Sorry I'm not much of a techie.

Thanks so much, it's appreciated.

Linda in Vancouver

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Linda,

Could you maybe give me a screenshot of this situation? (A picture says more then 1000 words)

Regards,
Olrik

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hi again,

I've downloaded Revo Uninstaller and it seems to work fine. However when I got to the page with all the entries in bold it said to read carefully and check the things in bold I wanted to install.

Some of the things are obvious, it say's "AIM" but the others in bold are just strings of numbers (codes I guess) & I cant tell what they are. I'm guessing registry entries but am not sure. All the bolded items have the same sort of icon next to them, looks like a piece of jigsaw puzzle. Do I check all of these entries? I don't want to mess up my registry.

I've looked at their Help section & to it it's as clear us mud LOL. Sorry I'm not much of a techie.

Thanks so much, it's appreciated.

Linda in Vancouver

Hello Misty M

Where it says check items in bold you can just hit select all followed by delete as it will only delete items that are releated to that application, it will not delete any other item :)

Please see my attached screenshot

Same goes with files and folders.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 16 July 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been away.

It worked !!! :)

Thanks so much!!

:)

Linda in Vancouver