Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow computer, how to speed it up?

• Please log in to reply

kera

kera

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My computer just recently recovered from viruses (I called up DELL and had them step me through the process of manually re-installing Windows XP) and it seems to be really slow still for some reason. Other then defragmenting it and cleaning up files / deleting unused programs, is there any other way to speed up my computer? thanks for reading this.

Advertisements

subspace3

subspace3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Has it always been slow? Open up the run dialog box and type msconfig. Select startup and de-select any startup programs you think you wont need then click apply. It Will save memory and make your PC load faster. If you find something you need is missing or something not working you can always go back and enable them. It maybe a good idea to search the program names in google to see if you need them.
Also if you right click on My computer, then click manage, then double click on services and applications then click on services again here you can enable/disable Microsoft services. Again find out the non essential ones and disable them. Also if you right click on my computer, select properties, then the advanced tab, then under the performance heading select settings, here you can play around with the visual effects of windows to help improve performance. You can deselect most of them and still have the same XP look, or just let windows choose what's best or choose best performance.

Other than that id say you have the best set up you probably could have. You could try turning the colour quality down in display properties. 16 bit still looks ok!
Next would be to install more ram, better graphics card. Cpu maybe , but that's a last resort.

If anyone has any other ideas I would like to know! Hope this helps.

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just curious. Whats your system specs?

Ram, Processor, Video card?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
DO NOT DO THIS..

Also if you right click on My computer, then click manage, then double click on services and applications then click on services again here you can enable/disable Microsoft services.

AGAIN...DO NOT DO THIS

start with this PC Decrapifier get it hereit will remove all th crippleware and trialware...

the nextthing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit....

then go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...if its a tower...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

How badly does this effect the search process? Seems a rather plus to me with a computer 80/100 gigs full.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

How badly does this effect the search process? Seems a rather plus to me with a computer 80/100 gigs full.

very little...they did some testing with indexing on and off..just a couple of seconds difference...if you are having to use search frequently get google desktop...it will index not only your computer but your gmail account....its a hundred times faster than the windows search and it only indexes when your not doing anything intensive...read about it here...

Multiple File Types

Google Desktop automatically indexes, and allows you to search the full text over, the following types of items on your computer:
Outlook Email Netscape Mail / Thunderbird
Outlook Express Firefox / Mozilla / Netscape
Word PDF
Excel Music
PowerPoint Images
Internet Explorer Video
MSN Instant Messenger Zip
AOL Instant Messenger Text and others

Edited by happyrck, 16 July 2008 - 09:22 AM.