Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blinking Curser

• Please log in to reply

Makamic

Makamic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Dell computer has always rebooted very quickly. My comupter still runs very quickly and I have cleaned all the garbage from the startup menu to attempt to fix this situation, but, recently, when I reboot, the following situation ocurs:
The DELL logo appears for a few seconds, then a black screen with a blinking curser in the upper left corner for a solid two minutes, then the Windows XP logo appears and the computer start up just fine. Any idea what is occurring during that blinking curser timeframe?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you added any new hardware or software recently...
updated windows or any other software just prior to having the problem...
updated any drivers..
have you tried system restore yet..
look in the device manager for any yellow !

Makamic

Makamic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
have you added any new hardware or software recently...
No
updated windows or any other software just prior to having the problem...
No
updated any drivers..
No
have you tried system restore yet..
Yes
look in the device manager for any yellow !
No yellow

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the bios and enable boot logging....the watch the screen when you first boot up and see what it pauses on...

rocaddict

rocaddict

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Try going into the BIOS and set the boot order to boot from the hard drive first.

It may be it's looking for a diskette in the drive or trying to boot from the CD drive, and taking it's time...

Also, sounds silly but, make sure there's no CD in the drive, as the system will try to boot from it, and it shows the flashing cursor while it's reading the disk.

If you have a USB printer /w a memory card reader in it. , try turning that off or leaving it unplugged.

Unplug all USB devices and re-try. For example, if My IPod is plugged in when I turn my PC on it either won't boot, or the OS takes 2x as long to boot.

Edited by rocaddict, 19 July 2008 - 01:23 PM.

Makamic

Makamic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much. It was a USB issue. Now it is not an issue!