Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

empty dvd drive shows as FULL

• Please log in to reply

twosticks

twosticks

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just tried to burn a short movie to my dvd-r. I was using movie editor "U-Lead 7" and it crashed during the write to dvd try. I looked at System/hardware and checked with NO DISK in the drive and yet the "disk" was graphed out as totally full. I've been able to burn DVDs before, last time just a few months ago. I downloaded Windows Movie Maker, loaded my video, but it still didn't burn because the brand new empty DVD was seen as FULL. Don't know what happened but would certainly appreciate some help with what my gut feeling tells me is something pretty simple to remedy. Wasn't able find anything of help on a google search. Bummer. Was ready to burn gift/movie of our summer school class for my pre-school children, a real treat for the little guys seeing themselves on TV.

I have XP home, SP 3, Pentium 4 3.20 GHz, 1 G RAM. The DVD hardware is NEC.

Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello twosticks...

Let's uninstall and reinstall the DVD drive and see if it clears the drive.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, expand (click +) the DVD/CD-ROM drive category. Right click on your DVD drive in the list and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Restart your machine and let Windows reinstall the drive during start up....then give it a try.

wannabe1

twosticks

twosticks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, didn't work. I uninstalled the DVD as you suggested, restarted. But still the DVD "properties" shows that a new, blank disc is 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free, and the empty DVD tray is the same way: 0 used, 0 full. The DVD is a separate tray from the CD tray above it. When I put a blank CD into its tray and check properties it shows 0 full and X bytes free. Just checked and see that the DVD tray will play a DVD. But nothing as far as being able to write to. Still stuck.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the DVD drives Properties, under the "Record" tab, is it set as a recording device?

twosticks

twosticks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oddly, when I check the box to allow "CD recording" and it seems to turn into a CD drive. By default -I believe- that box is not checked as it is the stand alone DVD drive. Uncheck, when I put a blank DVD into the drive the icon changes from DVD E to CD E (E being the drive).

Quite perplexing. Think I might just buy a new DVD drive and install it.

Thanks.