Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Cursor Movement

• Please log in to reply

TechRook

TechRook

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Guys/Gals,

A while back, anytime I typed my cursor would randomly move, cause me to have to fix what I was typing, and to move my cursor back to where I left off. I initially thought it was just my hand hitting one of the arrow buttons while typing, but soon learned it was not me causing it. The problem got progressively worse, and one of my friends, who is a tech guy, tried to figure out what ot was, but couldn't. He recommended me to re-image the computer. He came over, backed up all of my impotant files on his external hard drive, and re-imaged the computer for me. It worked! Not only did it fix the problem, but I noticed the difference in performance, probably by cleaning out some undiscovered malware and such.

A few months ago, I had a HDD failure, and purchased a new one from Dell, and the recovery panel was not preinstalled, so I got the CD's with it. Well, the other day, I got a nasty virus that wouldn't redirect almost all sites I tried to visit, to random sites. My McAfee found no virus, Adaware found nothing, and I couldn't even open Spybot. Anytime I tried to get to a Tech Site, specifically here, I was unsuccessful. I decided to go the easy route, and re-image again. I just finished tonight, and cleared everything out again. Now I just noticed the cursor problem happen. It is not at the same frequency as before, but I fear it getting worse, so I am hoping to nip it in the bud. I do not want to have to re-image again, as it is a pain in the you know what, and I have my computer to almost where I left off before the re-image before, in terms of programs, files, drivers, etc.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or could anyone help me out with figuring what it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can only hope to return the favor some day...

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well the only known fix is to re-image, since that worked for you before. But you can try reinstalling the touchpad driver, if it is a laptop. You can also try reinstalling the Chipset drivers to see if that resolves it. If Windows XP, you can try a repair installation to replace the Windows system files.

TechRook

TechRook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Well the only known fix is to re-image, since that worked for you before. But you can try reinstalling the touchpad driver, if it is a laptop. You can also try reinstalling the Chipset drivers to see if that resolves it. If Windows XP, you can try a repair installation to replace the Windows system files.

I actually did that last night after I noticed I couldn't scroll on my touchpad driver, so far so good, I haven't noticed it!

I do know last time when this happened, that fix did not work, but maybe because I already re-imaged yesterday, this will fix it for good.

Thanks for the advice Admiral, much appreciat