Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I clone disk to disk

• Please log in to reply

quanmay35

quanmay35

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Does anyone have instruction on disk imaging? using Norton Ghost v8.2
I have a computer that's running out of space, so I brought a bigger hard-drive and I would like to make a image of the current hard-drive but from disk to disk versus pushing the image to the server and bringing it back down.
I forgot how to perform this since it's been like 6 yrs.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Does the disk you got have a software CD included? It will have cloning software that will work just fine and be easier to use than Ghost. If you got a HD without the software disk you may be able to download the .iso file for it from the HD maker's site and burn it to CD as an image.

quanmay35

quanmay35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
What software would you recommend?

thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A good read on Ghost is the radified website.

http://ghost.radified.com/

Once you learn the nuances of Ghost it is very easy to make Full OS systems on DVD's or CD's.

I have tried the so-called easier programs and they leave me wanting something better. I have used Drive Copy 8 with good success on 3 different computers. What i don't like about it is that you cannot clone the OS to a smaller partition. I now have Drive copy 10 that i have yet to use so i don't know how well it works yet.

I have tried Acronis True Image 11 with no success yet. Made the multiple cd clone but it would not install. Tried making a DVD but gave up on that. I am still trying to work with it to get it to work.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Providing both disks are connected and recognised, disk to disk with Ghost is easy. Just select the appropriate options making sure you clone the right way round because it is possible (somehow) to clone nothing to a new drive and wipe everything... :)