Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undiagnosable problem!

• Please log in to reply

deep_set

deep_set

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there! I recently upgraded my pc by buying a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Socket AM2 andAMD Athlon X2 5200 motherboard CPU combo. Upon recieving these items I then discovered my current Power Supply wasnt good enough as i needed a 24 pin ATX connector rather than my current 20 pin. I also realised my Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 wasnt good enough as it wasnt PCI express. So, i purchased a 24 pin 500w PSU, (Jeantech Orchid) and a GeForce 8500 GT PCI Express card. I put these things together, Motherboard and CPU (came pre set up and was tested by 2 seperate people before i recieved it) new video card, new power supply and 1gb DDRII memory. I got power to system fans, the cpu fans, video card fan, but nothing else, but nothing to my monitor (so i tried another monitor - nothing). I have since replaced my video card with a friends, tried his power supply (600w) and all other combinations, but still nothing to my monitor. Ive tried using the additional PCI EXPRESS 4pin power socket but still nothing. My case speaker is plugged into the motherboard but makes no beeps. The manual says the motherboard has its own beep code which will diagnose the problem with the motherboard, which implies it has its own speaker which isnt sounding, and the case LEDS dont seem to get any signal. Ive contacted the seller i got the combo from but i fully believe that it was thoroughly tested before i recived it. Theres always the danger it was damaged in transit but the packaging was fine and nothing looks at all out of place there. Theres also the danger that i am not doing something totally obvious, but any suggestions would be so VERY gratefully appreciated. I wasnt wanting to spend a major amount on this upgrade but so far its cost a fortune!!!

MANY thanks for any help at all.

Chris

Edited by deep_set, 14 July 2008 - 08:11 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I generally check a new MB by hooking up a PSU, video card( if Needed), Memory, CPU & heatsink, KB-mouse-monitor while the MB is on a cardboard box, just to see if it works. If it don't boot to the BIOS its usually a Bad PS, bad memory, or a bad video. Even a badly installed heatsink let me see a 10 second bootup before it shut down. Heatsink was just placed on the CPU without installing( on a intel processor, don't try this with a AMD, it will fry). If all components are good and your's still does not boot up RMA( Return Merchandise Authorization) the motherboard back for another one.

Even low voltages on one computer, 11.73 volts on the 12 volt line, Still let me boot up the computer. It would just freeze up while trying to install XP. Real bad voltages (10.2) will stop the bootup dead in its tracks.This also fried the MB the first time i tried booting. I no longer use any kind of cheap power supplys, but instead depend on the PC power & Cooling, silverstone, and enermax PS's i keep in stock here. I have run cheaper ones but not on my personal computers anymore. I'm not willing to take the chance on them.

I have had only 1 gigabyte MB arrive bad out of dozens, but it has happened. I have more problems with the Asus MB's than any others.

SRX660

deep_set

deep_set

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
WAHEY! Finally some sign of life! Tried the 'out of the box' method this morning, and, at long last, there's some lovely little dancing pixels on my screen! Obviously a case short somewhere then yes? Ive spent about 20 hours solid on this the past 2 days, its SO nice to get some sort of result!

deep_set

deep_set

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I realised that i hadnt put in all of the motherboard screws to the metalised holes. I found a source which tells me this is very important, but another source says it doesnt matter. I have now got the motheboard in with all of the screws, went to run it in my case and nothing again. I have a feeling the 'tray' the motherboard sits on may be slightly bent, which is pressing against the copper sink on the underside of the cpu...:)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually you get a screw kit with motherboards and also when you buy cases. These kits have paper washers that you can use to insulate the motherboard from the case backplate. Use 2 paper washers per screw, one above thew MB and one below. If you do not have these paper washers ask a tech guy at a local computer store. Like me, they will have 100's of them lying around from computer builds.

Generally always use the metalized holes for mounting. Most other holes are for heatsinks or fan mounts, or specialized( read proprietary) hardware some manufacturers like to use. If the holes line up with backplate holes they can be used, and i would use the paper gaskets to make sure theres no shorting. If you continue to have problems the shorting out that has already happened could have damaged the MB. Then i would RMA it back for a replacement.

SRX660