Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Driver Problem....I HATE DELL!

• Please log in to reply

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

Sorry, I know this is not exactly hardware but cannot find anywhere to post about graphics problems.

Ive just re-built my PC. Everythings fine, but I cannot change the resolution on my Dell E153FPf monitor. After looking at a few posts on other websites, it seems this is a common problem. I tried downloading the drivers from Dell but there is no exe file and I do not know how to install them. Some posts state that these drivers are incorrect anyway and that I need to find out what chipset Im using and get the drivers that way. But I dont know how to detrmine which chipset Im using (do I just take cover off and have alook at the processor serial no????)

The video card is onboard (not a seperate card). I was just going to pop another video card in and get the drivers for that and hopefully that will work, however, this was working fine before I re-built, so its really annoying.

So can anyone advise how to get the graphics working corrrectly, do I need to get chipset drivers? Will this work? Anyone had similar problem with Dell E153FPf monitor? At present I cannot change the resolution above 640 and 8 bit colour..........

Thanks

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Sean,

You need to get video drivers. Chances are, you need a lot of drivers, like chipset, video, audio, and ethernet. What system do you have?

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Its a dell inspirion 3000. Everything apart from a network card I put in is onboard (ie video and audio)

Any ideas where I can get a job lot of drivers for one sytem in one download? If not, do you know what I need to search for? How do I find out which drivers I need? Do I just search drivers for the model of the pc/motherboard?

Sorry for being a little vague, I used to work in IT but that was back in the FAT32 days.......

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You can get them from support.dell.com, I'll get you links for the drivers you need.

Even though everything is integrated, most components still have their own drivers.

What Operating System are you running?

Edited by The Admiral, 14 July 2008 - 08:34 AM.

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Mate your a star........

You wont belive the amount of forums ive been on and everyone just says, ummmm, download a driver.........!

Makes sense that I'll need all the drivers even though its intergrated. Once Ive got the drivers, suppose I just save them to a folder and then go into the devices under device manager and update drivers and point them at the folder? I mean, they are not self extractable ase they (the monitor driver I downloaded from dell wasn't)

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry Im using XP

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Actually, most of our drivers are self-extracting ZIPs, then run an EXE automatically. Our monitor drivers don't because monitor drivers are useless unless it is a 2007WFP that has a webcam. >.<

Check your PM inbox.

Edited by The Admiral, 14 July 2008 - 08:38 AM.

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I guess the video driver will sort out the resolution issue and is self extracting?

Sorry again mate

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Yes, it sounds like right now Windows is using a standard, very basic driver, which doesn't allow for a resolution above 800x600 or a high color depth. A video driver will resolve it, and yes, it should be self-extracting.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Based on the information you provided to me through a PM, it sounds like you have a Dimension 2400. Here are the drivers in the order in which you need to install them.

Chipset
Video
Audio
Integrated Network
Modem

Sean Lockwood

Sean Lockwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Mate - Thaks so much! Your a star!