Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes Completely During Gameplay

• Please log in to reply

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My ABS Computer freezes during all games. After around 10 to 20 minutes of playing a game my computer will freeze. I can run anything else, but during games my computer will freeze. To see if its just horrible lag, I press on the num lock button to see if the light changes, nope, the computer is completely frozen. My computer is a fairly high end gaming computer and should be able to run even games like Crysis, yet they simply freeze at around 10 to 20 minutes. Even games that don't have much a toll on the system like Diablo will freeze. I doubt it's a heating problem as my computer has 3 fans (one with 2058 rpm, one with 2220 rpm, and one with 5625 rpm) in it. Just in case you need it, I'll list my computer's specs below.

ABS made computer
Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2.4GHz
2048MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (with the latest driver)

If you need anything else just ask me.

Also, I don't know if it's unnecessary but when ever my computer freezes, I have to wait about 5 minutes to turn it back on after I turn it off or else it will freeze at the desktop alone.

Edited by halbhalbhalb12345, 14 July 2008 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I doubt it's a heating problem as my computer has 3 fans (one with 2058 rpm, one with 2220 rpm, and one with 5625 rpm) in it.

This problem actually screams heat issue. Case fans are nothing to some components such as the graphics card or the CPU. It helps but case fans alone will not keep these components at an operable temperature.

Open up your case while it running but don't touch anything. Examine is fans that are not spinning, more specifically your graphics card fan. Look for large amounts of dust as this can easily cause the fans to move little to no air.

If dust is the issue buy a can of air a local computer shop. It is very helpful when cleaning. It is advised not to use a vacuum cleaner as it creates static and all components are static sensitive.

Next download speedfan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and Everest Home Edition: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html.

Speedfan is straightforward. In Everest temperatures are located under Computer --> Sensor.

Your CPU shouldn't exceed 60C and your GPU should not exceed 100C.

If you can check your temperatures after a few minutes of gaming.

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
All the fans seem to be spinning, there's a bit of dust, and I'm going to clean it out, then I'll get back to you.

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So, I cleaned out the dust in the fans and in the case of my computer today, and I tried to play a game, and while it took longer for it to freeze, it still froze after half an hour. Not sure what to do now.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you download the programs in my first post in order to check your temperatures?

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I downloaded SpeedFan, though I'm not sure which temperature corresponds to what. Temp1, Temp2, Temp3, Temp1, Core, Core, and Ambient are all listed.

Using Everest, after 5 minutes of Call of Duty 4, the CPU temperature was at 65 C and the GPU temperature was at 73 C.

Edited by halbhalbhalb12345, 16 July 2008 - 11:35 PM.

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My problem has not been resolved and it's currently on the third page, so I'm going to bump it, sorry.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your temps are definitely too high. Make sure the case fans are not working against each other, usually the back one will pull air in, the front will push it out. You can run a test by leaving the side of and putting a small room fan next to it and seeing if that solves the problem.

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If heat is the problem, then what should I go about doing?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Follow Tyger's advice but also clean out any dust you can see. Use a can of compressed air. Do not use a vacuum cleaner as it produces static.

Also check to make sure all fans are spinning.

Nothing wrong with GPU temp but CPU is too high.

halbhalbhalb12345

halbhalbhalb12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I checked around my house and I don't have a room fan, even if I did, would that really be a permanent fix, leaving my computer open like that and using a room fan to cool it? I have already dusted my computer with a compressed air can as I said earlier and the problem persisted. I'm pretty sure that it is that my CPU is getting too hot, so how can I go about fixing this, what is causing the problem?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As my post said, the room fan is for running a test. If you run the test and it doesn't crash you know that heat is the problem.