Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD freezes desktop computer

• Please log in to reply

BlueberryPie

BlueberryPie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

My desktop computer (Windows XP) is running out of space. I would like to transfer some files to my external hard drive, but unfortunately recently when I tried to connect my external hard drive to the computer it freezes the computer right after the sound (that sound when I unplug or plug USB). The cursor would still move when I try to click anything (start menu, desktop files, quicklaunch icons etc.) but nothing happens. When I click on the cd rom and put a cd inside it will still go in but nothing happens. When I press ctrl+alt+delete nothing gets detected. The only thing I can do is manually restart (which is so bad to the computer and I already did it three times in a row).

I did a windows update few days before I try to connect my portable hard drive, so I figured it might be because of the upgrade, so I did system restore to like 20 days earlier and thought everything will work perfectly but the same thing happens. Then a friend suggest the system restore does not necessary restores everything..

I tried connecting the same external HD to my laptop and it works fine. My laptop hasn't gone through Windows update..

I tried connecting another external HD (I have two) to my desktop and it freezes as well. I tried to connect 4GB USB drive to my desktop but luckily it was okay... not to mention before when I plug in two portable HDs then the first one does not work anymore because they both want to be called G drives, but I can live with that..

My desktop is currectly connected with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (with USB), Logitech webcam, and USB printer and they're all working alright (no serious issues).

Please help me out!

Thanks
BlueberryPie

Advertisements